Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is Special Education? 
Special Education is specially designed instruction provided to meet the unique needs of a child with a educational disability. 

2. What is specially designed instruction? 
Specially designed instruction means adapting, as appropriate to the needs of an eligible child, the content, methodology, or delivery of instruction to address the unique needs of the child that result from the child's disability. 

3. Who is eligible for Special Education? 
In order to be eligible for Special Education a child must satisfy both elements of a two prong test: the child must have one (or more) of the specific disabilities listed in the IDEA; and, the child must as a result of that disability need Special Education. 

4. What are the specific disabilities listed in IDEA? 
There are 13 specific educational disabilities listed in IDEA. They are as follows: Autism, Deaf-Blindness, Deafness, Emotional Disturbance, Hearing Impairment, Intellectual Disability, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, Other Health Impairment, Specific Learning Disability, Speech or Language Impairment, Traumatic Brain Injury/Acquired Brain Injury, Visual Impairment. 

5. What is IDEA? 
IDEA stands for the Individual with Disabilities Education Act. It is a federal law originally enacted in 1975, effective September 1, 1978, as Public Law 94-142. It was reauthorized in 1997, with final regulations published March 12, 1999 and effective May 1, 1999. 

This federal law requires that participating states, meaning states that apply for federal IDEA funds, offer every disabled child a free appropriate public education. (FAPE). The law included elaborate procedures for identifying, on an individualized basis, the educational services that are appropriate for each child with a disability. 

6. What is an IEP? 
IEP means individualized education program. An IEP means a written statement for a child with a disability that is developed, reviewed and revised. 

7. What is a helpful resource to me as a parent/guardian when my child is referred to Special Education? 
The NH Special Education Procedural Safeguards Handbook. The handbook is available to view under the district website.

8. If I have a concern who should I contact? 
The principal or guidance counselor in your child's school.